No rift with Anna, will support his cause: Kejriwal
New Delhi: Seeking to downplay reported differences with his mentor Anna Hazare, his former close aid and noted RTI activist Arvind Kejriwal on Monday said that he will always support the Gandhian’s cause and his fight against corruption.
Speaking to reporters shortly after meeting Anna Hazare, Kejriwal said, “Since he is here, we have come to meet him. We have told him that we are always with him. We will always support his cause and will be available whenever he needs our services."
Kejriwal, who met Anna along with Manish Sisodia, said, “There are no differences between us. Our goal is one (to end corruption) but the path is different.”
Kejriwal also slammed the UPA government and the political class for creating rift in the Team Anna as they lack will power to introduce tough legislation to tackle corruption in the country.
The RTI activist, however, admitted that Anna is still against the anti-corruption movement taking a political plunge.
With the Anna-Kejriwal meeting ending without any breakthrough, it is highly unlikely that Kejriwal will make any announcement regarding his soon-to-be –launched political outfit tomorrow.
Meanwhile, Anna Hazare is also expected to announce his new team later today to take the anti-corruption movement started by him forward.
The Gandhian activist, who is in Delhi, met his supporters and several representatives of social organisations in the national capital yesterday for the first time since he distanced himself from his former close associates on the issue of joining politics.
The 75-year-old activist made a veiled attack on Kejriwal, saying, "Politics is not the right path to take."
Firing a fresh salvo at the Kejriwal-led group, Anna said it had not responded to his questions on how to present a political alternative to the people in the fight against corruption and dubbed the path of politics as one "full of dirt".
Contending that a big movement and not politics will give the country its future, Hazare said he had told the pro-party group that the route of politics was "not the right direction".
Anna also said that he will announce a new course of action soon. If sources are to be believed, the new Team Anna movement will take shape under former IPS officer Kiran Bedi after Kejriwal`s exit.
After announcing his decision to split from the Kejriwal-led group recently, Anna has displayed his displeasure over Kejriwal`s decision to form a political party. He also warned Kejriwal, once considered Anna`s right-hand man, not to use his name or picture in his political campaigns.
The Kejriwal-led group doesn`t agree with Anna that joining politics will affect the anti-graft movement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH