`No SL Air Force personnel undergoing training in TN`
New Delhi: Government had allowed Sri Lankan Air Force personnel to undergo training in Tamil Nadu, but at present none of them are being trained in the state, government told the Rajya Sabha on Wednesday.
In a written reply to a question, Defence Minister A K Antony said, "At present no personnel of the Sri Lankan Air Force is undergoing training in Tamil Nadu."
The Minister replied in the affirmative on whether government had allowed Sri Lankan Air Force personnel to undergo training in Tamil Nadu.
The training of the Lankan personnel by India came in the line of fire from political parties in Tamil Nadu over the issues of ethnic Tamils in Sri Lanka.
The Defence Minister further informed the House that, "The views expressed by various (political) parties have been considered by the government keeping in view all aspects of national interest."
Following the protest from various political parties, the under-training Lankan personnel were shifted to Bangalore.
Around 15 Sri Lankan trainees were undergoing various courses at the two airmen training institutions in Tambaram in Tamil Nadu when the controversy broke off.
One of the two training centres there imparts training to airmen for carrying out repair and maintenance of military vehicles.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- In Gujarat, 95 of 100 suspects in crimes against Dalits acquitted
- Four people killed in Darjeeling building collapse
- Congress sounds UP poll bugle; Sonia, Rahul flag off three-day bus Yatra '27 Saal UP Behaal'
- Sunny Leone in trouble after singing national anthem at Pro Kabaddi League match - Here's why
- Another ISIS suspect arrested from Maharashtra's Thane district