Non-Cong CMs meet on sidelines of security meet
New Delhi: Against the backdrop of states` opposition to the NCTC and proposed amendments to the BSF Act, Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik and Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi on Monday met their Tamil Nadu counterpart J Jayalalithaa here.
After attending the Chief Ministers` Conference on Internal Security, Patnaik and Modi went to the Tamil Nadu Bhawan to hold separate meetings with the Tamil Nadu Chief Minister.
Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal also paid a visit to the Tamil Nadu Bhawan.
"I am here to pay courtesy call on madam J Jayalalithaa. Madam is an old family friend of my father, so I came here to pay a courtesy call," Patnaik told reporters.
Patnaik was the first to reach the Tamil Nadu Bhawan and Modi joined him later.
Modi went inside the hall where the Odisha Chief Minister was meeting his Tamil Nadu counterpart. Modi and Patnaik exchanged greetings after which Patnaik left.
The meeting assumes significance as non-Congress governments in states were opposing the creation of a counter-terrorism centre and proposed amendments to the BSF Act, maintaining that the two infringe upon the states` rights in a federal set up.
At the internal security meet, Jayalalithaa warned against an "emerging pattern" wherein the state`s powers are "abrogated" by the Centre through passage of bills and accused it of showing "scant respect" for state governments.
Expressing similar sentiments, Modi criticised the Centre for its "non-consultative" approach with the state governments on key security issues and said the UPA government was creating "state within state" by amending RPF Act, BSF Act which take away powers from the state police and meddling with subjects under the state list.
In his address, Patnaik sought urgent consultations between the Centre and the states over issues like the NCTC, saying any delay would affect handling of law and order.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what
- MP student proposes Congress VP Rahul Gandhi's name to Guinness Book for losing maximum elections