North East exodus: BJP slams govt for intelligence failure
New Delhi: A day after India blamed Pakistan for rumours and SMSes that forced thousands of northeast citizens to flee other states, the BJP on Sunday slammed the government for intelligence failure.
Bharatiya Janata Party leader Yashwant Sinha also slammed Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi, who has claimed he always suspected foreign hand in the incidents. Sinha questioned Gogoi`s inaction.
"The Assam Chief Minister said he always felt there is Pakistan`s hand in the incidents. A Congress chief minister is saying this, it`s clearly an intelligence failure," Sinha said.
"It was a social media aggression unleashed by Pakistan and the government could not do anything.
"Instead, when there was an exodus from so many states, the Home Minister questioned only the Karnataka Chief Minister," Sinha said.
Home Secretary RK Singh Saturday said 76 websites with morphed images of Assam and Myanmar violence had been identified for the panic run and that the bulk of these were uploaded in Pakistan.
The government has imposed a 15-day ban on bulk SMSs and MMSs to counter rumours of imminent attacks on northeastern people living in other states to avenge the clashes between Bodo tribals and Muslims in Assam.
Thousands from the northeast fled this week Karnataka, Maharashtra, Tamil Nadu and Andhra Pradesh. The panic has now subsided.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi