Norway custody row: Kids to meet uncle today
Oslo: Abhigyan (3) and Aishwarya (1), the two kids who were forcibly taken away from their parents - an NRI couple - and put under foster care by Norwegian authorities nearly 13 months ago, are expected to meet their uncle on Wednesday.
It should be noted that the uncle has agreed to take custody of the kids - children of Anurup and Sagarika Bhattacharya living in Norway`s Stavanger – who were taken under protective care by Barnevarne (Norwegian Child Welfare Services) last May on the ground that they were not looked after properly by their parents.
The family, and the Indian government, have been trying to bring the kids back to India and Norwegian authorities agreed to return the kids if the custody was given to someone other than the parents.
Today’s meeting comes after the emergence of a marital discord between the NRI couple nearly led to the collapse of the case.
A Norway court was to give its final ruling on the custody battle last Friday but indefinitely postponed the hearing after the family feud emerged.
However, the couple tried to undo the damage by re-signing an agreement stating they were ready to give custody of their kids to the uncle. The mother, Sagarika, has since returned to India.
The issue also came up for discussion between Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and his Norwegian counterpart Jens Stoltenberg, during a pull-aside meeting on the sidelines of the recently concluded Nuclear Safety Summit at Seoul, South Korea.
PM Singh expressed hope for an "amicable and good" solution to the custody crisis.
"The welfare of the children and the interests of the parents should be taken care of," Manmohan Singh said.
Singh`s response came after Stoltenberg informed him that the Stavanger municipality was planning to take the next steps in the case in full consultation with the parties concerned.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla