Norway custody row: Kids to meet uncle today
Oslo: Abhigyan (3) and Aishwarya (1), the two kids who were forcibly taken away from their parents - an NRI couple - and put under foster care by Norwegian authorities nearly 13 months ago, are expected to meet their uncle on Wednesday.
It should be noted that the uncle has agreed to take custody of the kids - children of Anurup and Sagarika Bhattacharya living in Norway`s Stavanger – who were taken under protective care by Barnevarne (Norwegian Child Welfare Services) last May on the ground that they were not looked after properly by their parents.
The family, and the Indian government, have been trying to bring the kids back to India and Norwegian authorities agreed to return the kids if the custody was given to someone other than the parents.
Today’s meeting comes after the emergence of a marital discord between the NRI couple nearly led to the collapse of the case.
A Norway court was to give its final ruling on the custody battle last Friday but indefinitely postponed the hearing after the family feud emerged.
However, the couple tried to undo the damage by re-signing an agreement stating they were ready to give custody of their kids to the uncle. The mother, Sagarika, has since returned to India.
The issue also came up for discussion between Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and his Norwegian counterpart Jens Stoltenberg, during a pull-aside meeting on the sidelines of the recently concluded Nuclear Safety Summit at Seoul, South Korea.
PM Singh expressed hope for an "amicable and good" solution to the custody crisis.
"The welfare of the children and the interests of the parents should be taken care of," Manmohan Singh said.
Singh`s response came after Stoltenberg informed him that the Stavanger municipality was planning to take the next steps in the case in full consultation with the parties concerned.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead