`Not much progress` by states in beefing up intelligence set up: MHA
New Delhi: Against the backdrop of Bangalore blast, Centre on Thursday said it has been advising states on the need to strengthen their intelligence set up but has "not seen much progress" on that front.
16 persons including 11 personnel were injured in a blast outside BJP office in Bangalore on April 17.
In a statement laid in the Rajya Sabha on the blast, Minister of State for Home Affairs RPN Singh made a strong pitch for setting up NCTC to strengthen intelligence gathering.
He also said the Home Ministry was working towards putting in place an explosive tracking system.
"We also need to strengthen the intelligence set up of the states. We have been advising the states on this, but we have not seen much progress," Singh said.
He said the government was also trying to strengthen human intelligence component of intelligence agencies, which is expected to start yielding results.
"We also need to quickly put the NCTC in place. We have now a revised formulation of NCTC which takes care of the objections of the states," he said.
The setting up of the National Counter-Terrorism Centre (NCTC) has been a bone of contention with several states contending that it affected the federal structure of the Constitution.
Underscoring the need for tighter checks on explosives, he said the Home Ministry was working with the Department of Industrial Policy and Planning and the National Institute of Smart Government to create an explosives tracking system.
"But the problems will remain till District Magistrates and Superintendents of Police have the stocks and consumption of the licensed explosive users checked more often and more stringently," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling