Now Varun Gandhi voices opposition against promotion quota bill
New Delhi: A day after BJP MP Maneka Gandhi claimed all party MPs from Uttar Pradesh were against promotion quota bill, her son and MP Varun Gandhi has written to party leadership opposing the legislation saying that such a step will drive a wedge between sections of society.
"We have inherited a system in which one person in government can negatively affect the lives of many. Therefore it is imperative that we not compromise on merit and seniority in government promotions," Varun said in his letter to BJP president Nitin Gadkari.
"The implications of this bill will be to drive a wedge between sections of society. It will create discontent which is already apparent in the striking of lakhs of government employees of Uttar Pradesh," he wrote in the letter, adding that employment opportunities for the youth will be adversely affected and governance will also suffer.
"Youth aspire to a better India in which they have space to grow and fulfil their destinies. Their aspirations lie crushed in the face of this bill," he said.
The Pilibhit MP said there was a need for creation of a consensus within the party to oppose the quota in promotions bill.
"I humbly request you to work towards a consensus within the party with a view to opposing this bill and addressing the issues that make a large section of our people feel let down," Varun wrote.
Varun`s mother and party MP from Aonla, Maneka Gandhi had yesterday claimed that all BJP MPs from Uttar Pradesh were against reservation in promotion.
While BJP had supported the bill in Rajya Sabha, it had held back its support in Lok Sabha yesterday arguing that the original text had undergone changes and more time was needed to study it.
The party appeared to be of the view that the bill, passed by Rajya Sabha should be referred for a review by the Supreme Court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- Quota row: Hardik Patel threatens Gujarat’s govt again
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- After Naved, another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Shocking revelation! Indrani Mukherjea's daughter Sheena Bora was pregnant