NSAs are to be blamed for decline of R&AW, says Yadav, Singh
New Delhi: Janata Dal (United) chief Sharad Yadav and former External Affairs minister Natwar Singh on Thursday blamed the National Security Advisors (NSA) for the `decline` of Research and Analysis Wing (R&AW).
"It is the tragedy of the country that we have made so many institutions that it has become a trouble in itself. In the NSA, we have invented a thing as if it is the remedy for everything. I know some NSAs and they were very dominating, bureaucrats especially have this tendency that they use power very ruthlessly," Sharad Yadav said.
He was speaking at the launch of `Mission R&AW`, a book written by RK Yadav, a former R&AW officer.
Natwar Singh, who was the foreign minister during the UPA government, said, "When I was the Foreign Minister, Manmohan Singh asked me that who should be made NSA. I told him that we don`t need an NSA in our system. There was no NSA since 1947 to 2004. NSA came into existence because my dear friend Brijesh Mishr decided that he would remain the Principal Private Secretary of the PM and NSA."
Singh, who was the Chief Guest of the event, pointed out that there are no NSAs in Britain, China, Japan and France.
"There is no place for it in our system...So I told Manmohan Singh that we don`t need it but he went ahead with it. M K Narayan, who later became the governor of West Bengal and was earlier Director (IB) was an IPS officer and had no knowledge of foreign affairs. Even the current one, (Ajit Kumar) Doval...Is a learned man but I don`t know how much advice he will be able to give to the PM," said Natwar Singh.
RK Yadav, the writer of the book rued the `decline` of R&AW and saying that whatever terrorism this country has faced in the last 25 years is due to total intelligence failure.
"Today standard of our intelligence has not been the same as it used to be between 1968 and 1978. Corruption is there and the government has put up a barrier in between since the last 15 years in the form of NSA.
"These are total failure people and they have nothing to do with R&AW. Shivshankar Menon who was recently NSA, is a man of foreign affairs, he had nothing to do with R&AW but its chief worked under his direction," he said.
Yadav also requested Sharad Yadav, a member of the Rajya Sabha, to make efforts to make the intelligence agency accountable to the Parliament, the way American spy agency CIA is accountable to US Senate.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- Another ISIS suspect arrested from Maharashtra's Thane district
- Oops! Shah Rukh Khan, Rohit Shetty friends no more?
- NASA's NEEMO 21 research mission begins, aquanauts splash down!
- Congress leader Digvijay Singh taken aback after seeing his name in Below Poverty Line list
- Gwen Stefani auditioned for 'Mr & Mrs Smith'