Nuke capable Prithvi-II missile successfully test-fired from Odisha
Zee Media Bureau/Ritesh K Srivastava
Bhubaneswar: India on Tuesday successfully test-fired indigenously developed nuclear-capable Prithvi-II missile from a test range in Odisha.
According to initial reports, the missile was successfully test fired.
Earlier on December 3, India successfully test-fired its nuclear-capable Prithvi-II surface-to-surface missile from a military base in Odisha. It was the third time when the missile was test-fired within two months.
The indigenously-developed ballistic missile with a maximum range of 350 km was fired from the Integrated Test Range at Chandipur-on-sea in Balasore district, about 230 km from Bhubaneswar.
"The mission was hundred percent success. It met all mission objectives," test range Director MVKV. Prasad said.
The test was carried out by the Strategic Forces Command (SFC) as part of a regular training exercise, he said.
The missile was earlier successfully tested by SFC from the same defence base Oct 7 and Oct 8.
Prithvi is India`s first indigenously-built ballistic missile. It is one of the five missiles being developed under the country`s Integrated Guided Missile Development Programme.
The battlefield missile, with flight duration of 483 seconds and a peak altitude of 43.5 km, can carry a 500-kg warhead.
The missile has features to deceive anti-ballistic missiles and uses an advanced inertial guidance system with manoeuvring capabilities and reaches its target within a few metres of accuracy.
It has a higher lethal effect compared to equivalent missiles in the world. Scientists say the accuracy has already been demonstrated in the past in the development flight trials.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre