Nyoma clash: CoI recommends disciplinary action against 168 Army personnel
New Delhi: An Army Court of Inquiry (CoI) has recommended disciplinary action against 168 personnel, including the then Commanding Officer (CO) of an artillery unit for their role in a clash between officers and jawans in May last year in Nyoma in Ladakh.
The Northern Army Commander has confirmed the recommendations by the CoI for disciplinary action against 168 personnel including three other officers, 17 Junior Commissioned Officers (JCOs) and 147 jawans, Army sources said here.
Disciplinary action in connection with the incident on May 10, last year against the personnel may also lead to court martial, they said.
The CoI was held under Brig Ajay Talwar and had completed its probe and submitted its report to the 14 Corps headquarters in Leh in first week of December last year. The personnel have been indicted by the CoI for various charges including arson and assault.
Three officers, including the CO, and eight jawans of 226 Field Regiment were injured in the fracas at Mahe firing range near Nyoma.
A day after the incident, the Army had ordered a CoI in which 215 witnesses including five officers, 21 JCOs and 189 jawans were examined.
The officers and men had clashed during a firing practice session where women were also present without proper authorisation.
In a similar officer-jawan face off in Samba in Jammu and Kashmir last year, the Army CoI had recommended action against 60 personnel.
The indicted officers and jawans of the artillery 226 Field Regiment in the case have been attached to various units in and around Jammu area, the sources said.
As per the Army Act, personnel recommended to face disciplinary action by a CoI have to go through the process of Summary of Evidence (SoE).
If the SoE confirms the punishment recommended by the CoI, the personnel have to face the trial by a General Court Martial (GCM).
After the Nyoma incident, a number of incidents of face offs between officer and jawans came to light including one at Gurdaspur involving the 45 Armoured Regiment. The officers and jawans of the regiment had clashed at a sports ground over some issue during the physical training session.
Soon after taking over, Army Chief Gen Bikram Singh had initiated several steps to address the issue and asked the officers to be cordial with their men.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in