Old-age pension hiked for those who cross 75
New Delhi: Old-age pensioners attaining age
of 75 and above in the city will get monthly pension of Rs
1,500 instead of existing Rs 1,000.
Announcing the enhancement in monthly emoulments, Social
Welfare Minister Kiran Walia, however, said people in the age
bracket of 60 and less than 75 will continue to get Rs 1,000
old-age pension monthly.
Delhi government currently pays old-age pension to around
three lakh senior citizens in the city. To become eligible to
get the pension, a senior citizen`s annual income should not
exceed Rs 60,000.
The decision to enhance the pension for people who have
attained 75 years of age was decided at the first meeting of
the recently constituted State Council for Senior Citizens.
Walia said government will soon constitute district
senior citizens committees in all nine districts.
These committees will be headed by the Deputy
Commissioners of the respective districts and its members will
include Deputy Commissioner of Police and a district welfare
counsellor besides two nominated members from the senior
"The committees will oversee implementation of various
welfare measures for the senior citizens," Walia said.
Walia, who was appointed chairperson of the state
council, said it has decided to create about nine posts of
district welfare counsellors and one post of chief coordinator
in social welfare department to coordinate with district
committees to implement various schemes meant for senior
She said that volunteers of National Service Scheme in the
universities and colleges would be involved for extending
help to senior citizens like taking them to hospitals when
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing