Old-age pension hiked for those who cross 75
New Delhi: Old-age pensioners attaining age
of 75 and above in the city will get monthly pension of Rs
1,500 instead of existing Rs 1,000.
Announcing the enhancement in monthly emoulments, Social
Welfare Minister Kiran Walia, however, said people in the age
bracket of 60 and less than 75 will continue to get Rs 1,000
old-age pension monthly.
Delhi government currently pays old-age pension to around
three lakh senior citizens in the city. To become eligible to
get the pension, a senior citizen`s annual income should not
exceed Rs 60,000.
The decision to enhance the pension for people who have
attained 75 years of age was decided at the first meeting of
the recently constituted State Council for Senior Citizens.
Walia said government will soon constitute district
senior citizens committees in all nine districts.
These committees will be headed by the Deputy
Commissioners of the respective districts and its members will
include Deputy Commissioner of Police and a district welfare
counsellor besides two nominated members from the senior
"The committees will oversee implementation of various
welfare measures for the senior citizens," Walia said.
Walia, who was appointed chairperson of the state
council, said it has decided to create about nine posts of
district welfare counsellors and one post of chief coordinator
in social welfare department to coordinate with district
committees to implement various schemes meant for senior
She said that volunteers of National Service Scheme in the
universities and colleges would be involved for extending
help to senior citizens like taking them to hospitals when
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next