Pak hands over body of Sarabjit Singh to Indian officials
Lahore: The body of Indian death row prisoner Sarabjit Singh, who died early Thursday following a brutal assault by other inmates of a jail here, was handed over to officials of the Indian High Commission by Pakistani authorities.
The body will be flown from Lahore to India this afternoon, Indian and Pakistani officials said.
Earlier, Pakistan gave clearance for a special Indian flight to take back the body.
Two officials of the Indian High Commission received the body. They will accompany the body on the special flight to India.
Footage on television showed policemen and staff of Jinnah Hospital loading a plain wooden coffin with the body into an ambulance.
Several vehicles with armed policemen escorted the ambulance from the hospital to Lahore international airport.
Pakistani authorities handed over the body after an autopsy was performed by a medical board.
Samples from the body were sent for forensic tests and the final report on the autopsy is expected to be submitted in two weeks, sources said.
Foolproof security was put in place at Jinnah Hospital for the handing over of the body. Dozens of police commandos were deployed in and around the hospital.
Sarabjit, 49, succumbed early today to injuries sustained during a brutal assault by other inmates of Kot Lakhpat Jail on Friday. He was hit on the head with bricks and cut with knives fashioned from spoons.
The Indian national had spent about 22 years in Pakistani jails after being convicted of alleged involvement in bomb attacks in Punjab province that killed 14 people in 1990.
His mercy petitions were rejected by the courts and former President Pervez Musharraf.
The previous Pakistan People`s Party-led government put off Sarabjit`s execution for an indefinite period in 2008.
Sarabjit`s family says he was the victim of mistaken identity and had mistakenly strayed across the border in an inebriated state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in