Pak hands over body of Sarabjit Singh to Indian officials
Lahore: The body of Indian death row prisoner Sarabjit Singh, who died early Thursday following a brutal assault by other inmates of a jail here, was handed over to officials of the Indian High Commission by Pakistani authorities.
The body will be flown from Lahore to India this afternoon, Indian and Pakistani officials said.
Earlier, Pakistan gave clearance for a special Indian flight to take back the body.
Two officials of the Indian High Commission received the body. They will accompany the body on the special flight to India.
Footage on television showed policemen and staff of Jinnah Hospital loading a plain wooden coffin with the body into an ambulance.
Several vehicles with armed policemen escorted the ambulance from the hospital to Lahore international airport.
Pakistani authorities handed over the body after an autopsy was performed by a medical board.
Samples from the body were sent for forensic tests and the final report on the autopsy is expected to be submitted in two weeks, sources said.
Foolproof security was put in place at Jinnah Hospital for the handing over of the body. Dozens of police commandos were deployed in and around the hospital.
Sarabjit, 49, succumbed early today to injuries sustained during a brutal assault by other inmates of Kot Lakhpat Jail on Friday. He was hit on the head with bricks and cut with knives fashioned from spoons.
The Indian national had spent about 22 years in Pakistani jails after being convicted of alleged involvement in bomb attacks in Punjab province that killed 14 people in 1990.
His mercy petitions were rejected by the courts and former President Pervez Musharraf.
The previous Pakistan People`s Party-led government put off Sarabjit`s execution for an indefinite period in 2008.
Sarabjit`s family says he was the victim of mistaken identity and had mistakenly strayed across the border in an inebriated state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre