Pakistani officials visit injured prisoner
New Delhi: Pakistani diplomats Saturday visited a Chandigarh hospital where a comatose Pakistani prisoner is being treated after being attacked by a prisoner in a Jammu jail, authorities said, adding they will be granted consular access once daily.
"Pakistani officials had consular access to Sanaullah Ranjay and also met attending doctors in Chandigarh," tweeted external affairs ministry spokesperson Syed Akbaruddin.
The Pakistan High Commission said their diplomats visited Ranjay at 3 a.m. today Saturday and met the hospital medical board.
The doctors "have given a very pessimistic prognosis of Ranjay`s recovery or survival and rule out prospects of his medical evacuation", a high commission statement said.
The mission officers are in Chandigarh and in contact with doctors.
"Medical condition shows that Sanaullah was subjected to multiple brutal assaults of unspeakable savagery in the Jammu jail, which is a matter of deep concern," the statement added.
Ranjay, a Pakistani lodged in Jammu`s Kot Bhalwal Jail, was critically injured after being attacked by an Indian prisoner Friday, prompting Islamabad to demand his immediate release and repatriation.
The Pakistan was flown to the Post-Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research (PGIMER) in Chandigarh for treatment.
The incident took place a day after Sarabjit Singh, an Indian prisoner in Pakistan, succumbed to grievous injuries sustained in a murderous assault on him in Lahore`s Kot Lakhpat Jail.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Sunil Grover responds to Kapil Sharma’s ‘sorry’ tweet, says ‘don’t act like a God’
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what