Pakistani officials visit injured prisoner
New Delhi: Pakistani diplomats Saturday visited a Chandigarh hospital where a comatose Pakistani prisoner is being treated after being attacked by a prisoner in a Jammu jail, authorities said, adding they will be granted consular access once daily.
"Pakistani officials had consular access to Sanaullah Ranjay and also met attending doctors in Chandigarh," tweeted external affairs ministry spokesperson Syed Akbaruddin.
The Pakistan High Commission said their diplomats visited Ranjay at 3 a.m. today Saturday and met the hospital medical board.
The doctors "have given a very pessimistic prognosis of Ranjay`s recovery or survival and rule out prospects of his medical evacuation", a high commission statement said.
The mission officers are in Chandigarh and in contact with doctors.
"Medical condition shows that Sanaullah was subjected to multiple brutal assaults of unspeakable savagery in the Jammu jail, which is a matter of deep concern," the statement added.
Ranjay, a Pakistani lodged in Jammu`s Kot Bhalwal Jail, was critically injured after being attacked by an Indian prisoner Friday, prompting Islamabad to demand his immediate release and repatriation.
The Pakistan was flown to the Post-Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research (PGIMER) in Chandigarh for treatment.
The incident took place a day after Sarabjit Singh, an Indian prisoner in Pakistan, succumbed to grievous injuries sustained in a murderous assault on him in Lahore`s Kot Lakhpat Jail.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read