‘Parkash Purab’ of saint soldier Guru Gobind Singh today
New Delhi: Gurudwaras across the country and the world wore a festive look on Friday on the occasion of the 347th ‘Parkash Purab’ of Guru Gobind Singh ji.
A huge rush of devotees is being witnessed in all Gurudwars from early today amid the rendering of Shabad Keertans. Earlier, as part of the festivities, `Nagar Keertans` (Holy Procession) were also taken out in many cities. Guru Granth Sahebji was carried on a beautifully decorated vehicle along with `Nishaan Sahebans` followed by Keerthani Jathas of men, women and youth.
Elaborate arrangements have been made at Patna Saheb in view of lakhs of devotees expected today. As per the Gurudwara Prabandhak Committee, over three lakh people are expected to take langar at the Takht Saheb.
An unparalleled personality in the annals of history, the 10th Sikh Guru, Gobind Singh, symbolized divine love but at the same time he was a warrior. While his sword held sway in the battlefield to protect religion and the helpless, he also was a gifted writer who penned a large body of literary work. He never called himself God or `the only son of God’; instead he called all people the sons of God sharing his kingdom equally and himself a `slave` or servant of God.
Born at Patna, on December 22, 1666, Guru Gobind Singh was the son of Guru Tegh Bahadur, who gave his life to protect religious freedom.
To protect the people from being oppressed, Guru Gobind Singh established the Khalsa panth in the year 1699. Khalsa were the warriors who were ever ready to make self sacrifice for achieving the goals of justice, equality, social good and protection of human rights.
Before his death in 1708, he declared the Guru Granth Sahib, which is Sikhism’s Holy Scripture, to be the permanent Sikh Guru.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre