‘Parkash Purab’ of saint soldier Guru Gobind Singh today
New Delhi: Gurudwaras across the country and the world wore a festive look on Friday on the occasion of the 347th ‘Parkash Purab’ of Guru Gobind Singh ji.
A huge rush of devotees is being witnessed in all Gurudwars from early today amid the rendering of Shabad Keertans. Earlier, as part of the festivities, `Nagar Keertans` (Holy Procession) were also taken out in many cities. Guru Granth Sahebji was carried on a beautifully decorated vehicle along with `Nishaan Sahebans` followed by Keerthani Jathas of men, women and youth.
Elaborate arrangements have been made at Patna Saheb in view of lakhs of devotees expected today. As per the Gurudwara Prabandhak Committee, over three lakh people are expected to take langar at the Takht Saheb.
An unparalleled personality in the annals of history, the 10th Sikh Guru, Gobind Singh, symbolized divine love but at the same time he was a warrior. While his sword held sway in the battlefield to protect religion and the helpless, he also was a gifted writer who penned a large body of literary work. He never called himself God or `the only son of God’; instead he called all people the sons of God sharing his kingdom equally and himself a `slave` or servant of God.
Born at Patna, on December 22, 1666, Guru Gobind Singh was the son of Guru Tegh Bahadur, who gave his life to protect religious freedom.
To protect the people from being oppressed, Guru Gobind Singh established the Khalsa panth in the year 1699. Khalsa were the warriors who were ever ready to make self sacrifice for achieving the goals of justice, equality, social good and protection of human rights.
Before his death in 1708, he declared the Guru Granth Sahib, which is Sikhism’s Holy Scripture, to be the permanent Sikh Guru.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday