Pirates seize oil vessel with 11 Indians aboard
New Delhi/London: Striking yet again, Somali pirates have seized a Liberian oil tanker off the coast of Oman with 11 Indians and 15 others on board.
The vessel MT Smyrni, bearing Liberian flag, was hijacked at 4.30 IST two days back in the Arabian Sea, around 600 miles east of Somalia.
"The vessel, managed by one Dynacom Tankers has 26 crew including 11 Indians, 14 Filipinos and one Romanian," a Shipping Ministry official said in New Delhi.
The official said the pirates were in the process of taking the ship carrying 135,000 tonnes of oil to Somalia.
"The Liberian government is in the know of the matter and we are closely watching the developments," he said.
The tanker was reported to be heading for Somalia. This was only the second voyage for the tanker, which first set to sea in 2011.
The tanker`s capture comes after a recent fall in the number of hijackings in the region.
It has not been reported, however, whether the Smyrni had such guards on board. EU naval ships are currently on patrol off the Horn of Africa in an effort to protect vessels.
According to the International Maritime Organisation, 17 ships and close to 300 crew are currently held by Somali pirates.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed