Pirates seize oil vessel with 11 Indians aboard
New Delhi/London: Striking yet again, Somali pirates have seized a Liberian oil tanker off the coast of Oman with 11 Indians and 15 others on board.
The vessel MT Smyrni, bearing Liberian flag, was hijacked at 4.30 IST two days back in the Arabian Sea, around 600 miles east of Somalia.
"The vessel, managed by one Dynacom Tankers has 26 crew including 11 Indians, 14 Filipinos and one Romanian," a Shipping Ministry official said in New Delhi.
The official said the pirates were in the process of taking the ship carrying 135,000 tonnes of oil to Somalia.
"The Liberian government is in the know of the matter and we are closely watching the developments," he said.
The tanker was reported to be heading for Somalia. This was only the second voyage for the tanker, which first set to sea in 2011.
The tanker`s capture comes after a recent fall in the number of hijackings in the region.
It has not been reported, however, whether the Smyrni had such guards on board. EU naval ships are currently on patrol off the Horn of Africa in an effort to protect vessels.
According to the International Maritime Organisation, 17 ships and close to 300 crew are currently held by Somali pirates.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing