PM clears Praful in Canadian bribery case
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has
cleared Union Minister Praful Patel of allegations that he
took a kickback when he was Civil Aviation Minister from a
Canadian businessman for an Air India contract for supply of
In a letter to Patel, the Prime Minister is understood to
have told him that the External Affairs Ministry has been
asked to convey to Canada that the contract was never executed
as it was not found to be cost-effective.
Patel had termed as "baseless and preposterous" the
allegations by Indian-born Canadian Nazir Karigar that a close
associate of the minister was paid USD 2.50 lakh for getting
the contract for a computerised passenger face recognition
biometrics system for Air India approved.
Following this, Patel had written to the Prime Minister
urging him to direct Air India to forward all relevant
information and documents of the tender to PMO or to any
agency nominated by him for a probe.
Patel had wanted that the "factual position" be conveyed
to the authorities in Canada in order to avoid any
embarrassment to the government or to him personally.
The Prime Minister said that the Civil Aviation Ministry
has clarified that the relevant tender was not pursued by Air
India as it was not cost-effective and would lower its yield.
The Ministry further clarified that all such
acquisitions were within the purview of the airline itself and
were not required to be referred to it.
Two days ago, the CBI had denied having registered any
Preliminary Enquiry or Regular Case in this connection,
following reports that the agency had begun "discreet
Patel had earlier told PTI that the bribery charges, as
reported in a Canadian daily, appeared to be "a perfect con
job" by Karigar trying to convince his company that he could
deliver a contract if he is paid.
The Canadian Justice Department is planning to prosecute
Karigar on charges that he violated the Corruption of Foreign
Public Officials Act, a law that forbids payment of bribes
abroad. The case is scheduled to be heard in September.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!