PM conferred on doctorate degree by IARI
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh was on Monday conferred on the doctorate degree by the country`s premier agriculture research body Indian Agricultural Research Institute (IARI) in recognition of his contributions to the
development of the farm sector.
Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar presented the `Degree of Doctor of Science (Honoris Causa)` to the Prime Minister at 50th Convocation of IARI here.
Being the country`s premier national institute for agricultural research, education and extension, it is said that the "Green Revolution" was born in the fields of IARI.
The citation recognises the Prime Minister`s illustrious academic career and his contributions to development of the farm sector in the country.
"In his political and professional career, Manmohan Singh has always worked for the welfare of Indian farming community," the citation said.
Policy interventions to increase the farmers` access to institutional credit, promotion of agricultural investment and technology, strategic partnership in research and development with the developed countries, trade reforms and special
packages for agriculture have all directly benefitted Indian farmers and promoted inclusive growth, it added.
"His seminal contributions to the country`s economy have enabled India to emerge as a global leader," it said.
Singh, who has been recipient of many awards and honours, was elected fellow of the National Academy of Agricultural Sciences in 1999.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Bihar intermediate result 2015 (commerce) on biharboard.ac.in