PM in denial mode over state of economy: BJP
New Delhi: Accusing Prime Minister Manmohan Singh of being in "denial mode" over the state of Indian economy, BJP on Saturday asked the government to treat the present problems as a "wake-up" call and take effective measures.
"The patient does not want to be treated. He is convinced that he is not unwell.... The Prime Minister`s statement that fundamentals of the Indian economy are strong comes as a surprise. It clearly shows that the Prime Minister is living in denial about the real state of the India economy," Leader of Opposition in Rajya Sabha Arun Jaitley told reporters here.
Earlier in the day, the Prime Minister had said scaling down by Moody`s of India`s growth forecast to 5.5 per cent was a "cause for concern" but insisted that one should not draw "unwarranted conclusions".
Singh also maintained that fundamentals of Indian economy are strong and it will still do better than 6.5 per cent growth performance of last year.
Jaitley said experts both outside and within the country are commenting adversely on the state of Indian economy and Singh and his government are behaving "like a patient who refuses to accept that he is ill".
"The sentiment is low. India is no longer an investment destination. Inflation has reached unacceptable levels. Infrastructure ministries are moving slowly.
Corruption has created an adverse environment. This government is being accused of policy paralysis," Jaitley said.
He maintained that the government should treat this as a "wake-up call" and the PM must respond to it rather than living in denial. "Economy is not run by bravado," Jaitley said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!