PM is right, politics and sports should not be mixed: Pawar
Mumbai: NCP president Sharad Pawar on Friday endorsed Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s view that politics and sports should not be mixed, saying he never did it during his long association with sports bodies.
"I have been associated with sports for many years but never brought politics into sport. Prime Minister is right when he says that politics should not be mixed with sports," he told a news conference.
Pawar was asked to comment on the raging spot-fixing and betting controversy which has rocked Indian Premier League with even team owners coming under a cloud.
Pawar, a former president of the Indian Cricket Board as also the game`s topmost governing body ICC, however, refused to make any comment on the ongoing crisis in IPL.
"Right now I am not associated with BCCI (so I should not comment). I may be with some sports body in the future," the NCP leader said.
Pawar, also a Union minister, is reportedly planning a comeback as a cricket administrator by becoming president of the Mumbai Cricket Association.
"It is not proper for me to comment. I only hope that politics and sports don`t get mixed," the Prime Minister had told the media on his way back to India from a visit to Japan and Thailand on May 31 when asked whether government was contemplating to intervene following the spot-fixing scandal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read