PM Manmohan Singh elected to Rajya Sabha
Zee Media Bureau
Guwahati: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh was on Thursday elected to Rajya Sabha from Assam for fifth consecutive term.
The victory of Prime Minister and Congress candidate Manmohan Singh was certain since he was the only contestant for the first preference votes of 78 Congress MLAs in the 126-member Assembly.
The Prime Minister`s four sets of nomination papers endorsed by 40 MLAs submitted under oath to the Returning Officer on May 15 at the Assembly were found in order on scrutiny day on May 23.
Singh had filed a fresh affidavit two days before scrutiny correcting his age in his nomination papers as 80 years and not 82 years.
Polling was held from 9 am to 4 pm at the Assembly and votes were counted the same day at 5 pm with the election process concluding before June 3 next as per the Election Commission of India May 13 notification.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read