PM Manmohan Singh elected to Rajya Sabha
Zee Media Bureau
Guwahati: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh was on Thursday elected to Rajya Sabha from Assam for fifth consecutive term.
The victory of Prime Minister and Congress candidate Manmohan Singh was certain since he was the only contestant for the first preference votes of 78 Congress MLAs in the 126-member Assembly.
The Prime Minister`s four sets of nomination papers endorsed by 40 MLAs submitted under oath to the Returning Officer on May 15 at the Assembly were found in order on scrutiny day on May 23.
Singh had filed a fresh affidavit two days before scrutiny correcting his age in his nomination papers as 80 years and not 82 years.
Polling was held from 9 am to 4 pm at the Assembly and votes were counted the same day at 5 pm with the election process concluding before June 3 next as per the Election Commission of India May 13 notification.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!