PM Manmohan Singh elected to Rajya Sabha
Zee Media Bureau
Guwahati: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh was on Thursday elected to Rajya Sabha from Assam for fifth consecutive term.
The victory of Prime Minister and Congress candidate Manmohan Singh was certain since he was the only contestant for the first preference votes of 78 Congress MLAs in the 126-member Assembly.
The Prime Minister`s four sets of nomination papers endorsed by 40 MLAs submitted under oath to the Returning Officer on May 15 at the Assembly were found in order on scrutiny day on May 23.
Singh had filed a fresh affidavit two days before scrutiny correcting his age in his nomination papers as 80 years and not 82 years.
Polling was held from 9 am to 4 pm at the Assembly and votes were counted the same day at 5 pm with the election process concluding before June 3 next as per the Election Commission of India May 13 notification.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump lays claim to Republican presidential nomination
- Rights activist Trupti Desai alleges attack by goons in Nashik, hospitalised
- CHSE Odisha +2 Result (CHSE result 2016) Exam Results 2016 likely to be declared shortly. Check chseodisha.nic.in, orissaresults.nic.in
- PM Narendra Modi silent on scams like Manmohan Singh: Arvind Kejriwal
- French Open 2016: Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic roll on, symmetry for Williams sisters