PM relaxes land transfer norms
New Delhi: Apparently unhappy over delays in infrastructure projects on account of procedures, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh today relaxed norms for transfer of government land to any other entity to remove bottlenecks and speed up public-private partnership (PPP) projects.
According to the Prime Minister`s decision which marks lifting of a ban imposed last year, all cases of land transfer from ministries to statutory authorities or public sector undertakings (PSUs) will be allowed, subject to the requirements of normal Government of India rules.
The decision will do away with the requirement of Cabinet approvals which was leading to long delays in awarding concessions for infrastructure projects, particularly PPP ones in sectors like road, railways, civil aviation, ports and metro rail.
"Requiring Cabinet approval for each PPP project meant adding a few months to complete the processes for securing Cabinet approval," a PMO statement said.
"The Prime Minister approved relaxations in the land transfer policy of the government for government-owned lands so that infrastructure projects are not held up because of procedural delays," it said.
The decision to relax norms would speed up the award of PPP projects from this month onwards significantly, it said.
Among the categories for which the ban has been relaxed are all cases of land transfer on lease or rent or license to a concessionaire which have been appraised through the PPP Approval Committee route and approved by the Finance Minister or by the Ministers concerned or by the Cabinet, as the case may be, depending upon the value of the project.
Development and use of railway land by Rail Land Development Authority (RLDA) as per provisions of Railways Amendment Act, 2005 and the Rules framed thereunder and in accordance with the prevalent policies and guidelines of the Railway Ministry and the Government will also be covered by the new decision.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video