PM should be elected directly by people: Anna Hazare
Gonda: Social activist Anna Hazare on Sunday said the Prime Minister should be elected directly by the people in the country.
"Unless and until Prime Minister is directly elected by the people, it would not do any good to the country," Hazare told reporters here during his ongoing Jantantra Yatra.
Calling statements of getting a full meal for Rs 5 and Rs 12 by some Ministers "a cruel joke," he said if people could get a full meal for Rs 5, then why do MPs, who get free facilities, want a monthly salary of Rs 80,000.
Hazare claimed that no political party was willing to bring a strong anti-corruption law.
He said despite a written assurance by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, the Jan Lokpal bill was not passed in Parliament even after two years.
He claimed that Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi, who could be fielded by BJP as its prime ministerial candidate, had not brought a strong Lokayukta bill in his state.
Hazare said people should vote in favour of a candidate with good character. He also said he would not support Aam Aadmi Party, floated by his former associate Arvind Kejariwal, in the elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery