PM should be elected directly by people: Anna Hazare
Gonda: Social activist Anna Hazare on Sunday said the Prime Minister should be elected directly by the people in the country.
"Unless and until Prime Minister is directly elected by the people, it would not do any good to the country," Hazare told reporters here during his ongoing Jantantra Yatra.
Calling statements of getting a full meal for Rs 5 and Rs 12 by some Ministers "a cruel joke," he said if people could get a full meal for Rs 5, then why do MPs, who get free facilities, want a monthly salary of Rs 80,000.
Hazare claimed that no political party was willing to bring a strong anti-corruption law.
He said despite a written assurance by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, the Jan Lokpal bill was not passed in Parliament even after two years.
He claimed that Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi, who could be fielded by BJP as its prime ministerial candidate, had not brought a strong Lokayukta bill in his state.
Hazare said people should vote in favour of a candidate with good character. He also said he would not support Aam Aadmi Party, floated by his former associate Arvind Kejariwal, in the elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday