Ponty Chadha, brother Hardeep killed in family feud
New Delhi: Controversial liquor baron and real estate businessman Ponty Chadha and his younger brother Hardeep Singh Chadha alias Monty were killed in firing at the former’s farmhouse in South Delhi’s Chhatarpur on Saturday.
55-year-old Ponty and his brother Hardeep, with whom he had a strained relationship due to property dispute, were shot at in their chests during the meeting at the former`s farmhouse in Chhattarpur. One of the guards also suffered injuries in the incident.
Both the brothers were not on good terms and there were disagreement between them over land ownership. The duo were discussing a land dispute at the farmhouse when at around 1.00 pm tempers flared and according to police, Hardeep opened fire at Ponty.
The meeting started on a peaceful note but soon turned ugly, following which Hardeep allegedly opened fire at his brother, sources said.
This enraged the guards of Ponty who returned the fire in which Hardeep was killed, they said.
Both the groups opened fire at each other. After Hardeep opened fire, Ponty and guards from both sides also opened fire, the sources added.
Around 30-40 rounds were fired and police later recovered two pistols and empty cartridges from the scene.
The three Chadha brothers -- Ponty, Hardeep and Rajinder -- were jointly managing the Rs 6,000-crore Wave Inc, formerly Chadha Group, which has diverse business interests in fields ranging from distilleries, multiplexes, sugar to paper mills, real estate, poultry and films.
According to police, the shootout took place on the lawn of the sprawling farmhouse at 42, Central Lane, DLF, Chattarpur farms, Mali village in Mehrauli on the southern edges of the capital.
"Gurpreet Singh Chadha alias Ponty Chadha and Hardeep Chadha were brought dead to Fortis Hospital in Delhi`s Vasant Kunj and later both the bodies were taken to All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) for post mortem examination," a police official said.
It may be remembered that on October 5 earlier this year, gun shots were also reported from Chadha`s house in Uttar Pradesh`s Moradabad district.
Ponty Chadha`s real name was Gurpreet Chadha. He had the sole distribution rights for liquor in the state of Uttar Pradesh. He also had business interests in real estate, sugar mills and film production.
Ponty Chadha had a meteoric rise as a businessman and this triggered a lot of speculation about the real source of his income and his political affiliations.
Ponty Chadha wealth was estimated at over Rs 50,000 crores. He, along with his brothers, ran the Chadha Group, popularly known as the Wave brand. The group operated a popular chain of multiplexes under the Wave brand.
Earlier this year, Income Tax officials had raided the Centrestage Mall in Noida, which was owned by Ponty Chadha, over alleged tax evasion.
Chadha was initially close to the Samajwadi Party but later affiliated himself with Mayawati-led Bahujan Samaj Party.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- British tourist masturbated at in Mumbai; Indian men apologise
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now