‘Ponty was not tipped off, Rs 11 cr seized’
New Delhi: The Income Tax department had
seized Rs eleven crore in cash, jewellery and fixed deposits
and sealed 13 bank lockers during the searches of the premises
of liquor baron Ponty Chadha a fortnight ago for alleged tax
"During the search held on February 1, cash of Rs 2.03
crore, jewellery and ornaments of the value of Rs 5.18 crore,
fixed deposits of Rs 4.4 crore and a large number of documents
"Further, restraint orders on 13 bank lockers and two
other premises are pending. The search is yet to be
completed," Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) spokesperson
Anuja Sarangi said in a statement today.
The CBDT, which is the administrative authority of the
I-T department, also denied reports Chadha, who has business
interests in real estate and liquor in Uttar Pradesh, Delhi
and Punjab, was tipped off about the searches.
"It has been reported in some sections of the media that
there has been a leak in a search case conducted recently by
the Income Tax department on a `liquor baron`. It is also
being reported in the media that CBDT has instituted an
inquiry into the matter.
"As the matter is still under investigation, these media
reports are without any factual basis and speculative," the
Chadha had earlier denied seizure of Rs 100 crore by the
I-T from his Noida mall and has promised to extend full
cooperation to tax authorities in their probe of alleged tax
evasion in his various businesses.
I-T department had begun the operations on Chadha and
his associates on February 1, covering 13 locations in Delhi
including at the posh Sainik Farms, Lajpat Nagar, New Friends
Colony while in Uttar Pradesh, I-T teams comprising 200
officials, undertook similar operations at six locations in
Noida, Moradabad and state capital Lucknow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi