Pran was an icon: Prime Minister
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Friday night paid rich tributes to Bollywood veteran Pran, who died in a Mumbai hospital, describing him as an "icon" who entertained several generations with his "riveting performances" in a myriad of roles in films.
In a condolence message, Singh said Pran had "entertained several generations of Indians with his riveting performances in hundreds of celluloid roles. His versatility in etching a lasting impressions on cinema audience`s mind improved with time, for which he was bestowed with the Dada Saheb Phalke Award."
He pointed out that Pran "had worked with doyens of film industry among which he was an icon".
"On this sad occasion, I convey my heartfelt condolences to the members of the bereaved family and Pran`s countless fans and admirers. I pray for peace of the departed soul," he added.
Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar said that with Pran`s death "we have lost an actor of rare calibre and sophistication that symbolised his illustrious career".
"Considered as one of the most successful actors to portray strong characters of various hues, Pran ruled the Hindi film industry for several decades and won the admiration of millions of fans in India and abroad", she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- AAP 'intentionally' framed Punjab chief Chhotepur before expelling him: Dharamvira Gandhi
- Juno probe to make its closest approach to Jupiter tomorrow!
- SHOCKING! Diego Maradona claims Lionel Messi 'staged' international retirement - Here's why
- Marijuana compound may improve night vision
- Know how these two Mumbai brothers turned Rs 25 thousand into Rs 9,000 crores