Pran was an icon: Prime Minister
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Friday night paid rich tributes to Bollywood veteran Pran, who died in a Mumbai hospital, describing him as an "icon" who entertained several generations with his "riveting performances" in a myriad of roles in films.
In a condolence message, Singh said Pran had "entertained several generations of Indians with his riveting performances in hundreds of celluloid roles. His versatility in etching a lasting impressions on cinema audience`s mind improved with time, for which he was bestowed with the Dada Saheb Phalke Award."
He pointed out that Pran "had worked with doyens of film industry among which he was an icon".
"On this sad occasion, I convey my heartfelt condolences to the members of the bereaved family and Pran`s countless fans and admirers. I pray for peace of the departed soul," he added.
Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar said that with Pran`s death "we have lost an actor of rare calibre and sophistication that symbolised his illustrious career".
"Considered as one of the most successful actors to portray strong characters of various hues, Pran ruled the Hindi film industry for several decades and won the admiration of millions of fans in India and abroad", she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened