Pravasi Bhartiya Divas in Jaipur from today
Jaipur: The 10th Pravasi Bhartiya Diwas, a convention for NRIs, is all set to begin here from Saturday with over 1,300 delegates expected to attend the three-day meet.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh is scheduled to deliver the inaugural speech on January 8 and President Pratibha Patil will deliver valedictory address and confer the Pravasi Bhartiya Samman awards on January 9.
Indian-origin Prime Minister of Trinidad and Tobago, Kamla Persad Bissessar will be the chief guest of the event, which has a theme of `Global Indian - inclusive growth`.
The annual event for overseas Indians, which is being held in Jaipur for the first time, will start with seminars on `Management of water for future`, `Solar Energy-Investment and R&D`, `Enhancing rural energy access` and `Health` at Birla auditorium.
A youth interactive session will also be held at Maharana Pratap auditorium.
The first plenary session on January 8 will discuss the country`s economic growth and how overseas Indians can synergies their competencies with India`s growth for optimal gains, according to an official.
Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee will deliver keynote address in the session.
The second plenary session will be a business session `Partnering for Prosperity` with a focus on education, healthcare, rural development and gender issues.
`Global Indian: state initiatives and opportunities` will be the session of Chief Ministers.
Last year, the event was held in New Delhi. The theme of the event was `Engaging the Global Indian` and 1,500 delegates from 51 countries had participated in the convention.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Donald Trump takes another step back from hard-line stance on illegal immigration
- Attack on Kabul`s American University ends as attackers killed
- Colombia announces historic peace pact
- Aamir Khan's '3 Idiots' sequel on the cards? Here's what Rajkumar Hirani has to say!
- 'Nirbhaya' gang-rape: Convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail, admitted to hospital