President, Vice Prez greet people on Eid-ul-Azha
New Delhi: President Pranab Mukherjee and Vice President Hamid Ansari greeted the people on Friday on the occasion of Eid-ul-Azha, wishing the festival would resolve to build a peaceful, harmonious, fraternal and progressive society.
In his message, the President said: "The festival of Eid-ul-Azha epitomizes the noble values of sacrifice, trust and forgiveness."
"Let us today remind ourselves of the spirit of sacrifice in the cause of goodness that alone can lead to peace and harmony. May this unique festival inspire us to sacrifice our selfish interests in the larger interest of the country as a whole," the President said.
Greeting the people, Ansari said: "The celebration of this festival reminds us of the cherished human values of compassion, sharing and sacrifice."
"On this joyous occasion, let us all firmly resolve to build a peaceful, harmonious, fraternal and progressive society," the Vice-President said.
Eid-ul-Azha is celebrated by Muslims across the globe in honour of Prophet Ibrahim, who was even willing to sacrifice his son Ismail to please Allah.
According to Muslim belief, Allah replaced Ismail with a sheep just as Ibrahim was about to slit his throat - hence the tradition of sacrificing an animal.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living