President, Vice Prez greet people on Eid-ul-Azha
New Delhi: President Pranab Mukherjee and Vice President Hamid Ansari greeted the people on Friday on the occasion of Eid-ul-Azha, wishing the festival would resolve to build a peaceful, harmonious, fraternal and progressive society.
In his message, the President said: "The festival of Eid-ul-Azha epitomizes the noble values of sacrifice, trust and forgiveness."
"Let us today remind ourselves of the spirit of sacrifice in the cause of goodness that alone can lead to peace and harmony. May this unique festival inspire us to sacrifice our selfish interests in the larger interest of the country as a whole," the President said.
Greeting the people, Ansari said: "The celebration of this festival reminds us of the cherished human values of compassion, sharing and sacrifice."
"On this joyous occasion, let us all firmly resolve to build a peaceful, harmonious, fraternal and progressive society," the Vice-President said.
Eid-ul-Azha is celebrated by Muslims across the globe in honour of Prophet Ibrahim, who was even willing to sacrifice his son Ismail to please Allah.
According to Muslim belief, Allah replaced Ismail with a sheep just as Ibrahim was about to slit his throat - hence the tradition of sacrificing an animal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: AIADMK member from Cuddalore dies after seeing news about Tamil Nadu CM's cardiac arrest