Presidential Standard to be presented to IAF units
New Delhi: President Pranab Mukherjee will present tomorrow the Presidential Standard to 25 and 33 Squadrons of the Indian Air Force in Sulur in Coimbatore.
Mukherjee, who is undertaking a two-day visit to Tamil Nadu and West Bengal, would also inaugurate centenary celebrations of the award of Nobel Prize to Rabindranath Tagore at Shantiniketan.
At a function tomorrow in Sulur, Coimbatore, the President would handover Presidential Standard to 25 and 33 Squadrons of the Indian Air Force, a Rashtrapati Bhavan statement said.
A Presidential Standard is a flag, awarded by the head of the state to a military unit. It is one of the greatest honours bestowed upon a unit or squadron in recognition of exceptional service rendered by it to the nation, both in war and peace.
25 Squadron of the Indian Air Force known as "The Himalayan Eagles" has been the lifeline of the armed forces personnel and citizens in the Northern Frontiers for over five decades, in times of peace as well as war.
The primary role of the Squadron is Air Maintenance in the Northern Sector.
It is said to be the lifeline of army units posted in the hostile region of Ladakh and Siachen which remain out of bounds for road traffic during winters.
Air dropping by AN 32s and helicopters is the only way of providing supplies.
The squadron also carries out night operations in Leh region using IL76 and AN 32 aircraft.
The 33 squadron, which was inducted into the IAF in 1963, in Guwahati, served in northeast region as transport units till 1991 when it moved to Sulur in Coimbatore. Famous for its rescue role in Tangail operations in 1971, the unit also earned laurels for its work during the 2004 tsunami.
In the second phase of his visit, the President would travel to West Bengal where he would inaugurate the centenary celebrations of award of Nobel Prize to Tagore.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH