Problem in Nirbhay cruise missile identified: Antony
New Delhi: Scientists have identified the problem in Nirbhay cruise missile, which led to its malfunction during the first test flight last month, and corrective design is being implemented, Defence Minister AK Antony on Wednesday said.
In a written reply in Rajya Sabha, he said, "Scientists have identified that Inertial Navigation System has malfunctioned and corrective design/modification are being implemented."
On whether the missile achieved only partial success, Antony said, "Yes. Except for covering the full range by flying in all way points, all the objectives set for the cruise missile functionality have been met fully."
Maintaining that the missile had a perfect launch with the navigation systems correctly touching the "first way point", he said, "Deviation was observed while going to second way point. When the deviation extended the safety limit, mission abort command was issued from the ground and the destruction mechanism inside the missile was activated."
In reply to a separate question, the Minister said DRDO has proposed to set up a missile testing centre and a launch pad at Machilipatnam in Andhra Pradesh at an estimated cost of Rs 1200 crore.
"The proposal is at a very initial stage. So far, only proposal for requirement for land has been initiated with the Government of Andhra Pradesh."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- VIDEO: Shikhar Dhawan reveals impact of Yuvraj Singh in India dressing room
- Kidnappers treated me well, gave me money to reach home: Snapdeal executive Dipti Sarna's 36-hour ordeal