Protests at Ramlila Maidan do not help: Markandey Katju
Mumbai: Observing that anti-corruption protests gradually fizzle out, Press Council of India Chairman Justice (retd) Markandey Katju on Saturday said agitations like that of social activist Anna Hazare lack "scientific idea".
"Protesting at the Ramlila ground does not help as it lasts only for two months and then everyone forgets about it. (Mere) shouting at Jantar Mantar does not help, Anna Hazare lacks scientific idea", Katju said while delivering a lecture at the Mumbai University.
Katju`s comments came a day after Hazare met his former colleague and Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) chief Arvind Kejriwal in New Delhi and urged him to call off his indefinite fast against "inflated" power bills.
Observing that voting in India has been largely based on the caste and communal lines, Katju said, "This is a backward country where people believe in godmen".
Taking a dig at Kejriwal, Katju said "I would like to know which caste does his (Kejriwal`s) party represent?"
On corruption, he said without elaborating that "it will stay in India for at least 20 years".
Katju said that the "dislike" of Western countries towards India for her poverty was the reason the country failed to secure a seat in the UN Security Council.
"Even after so many years we don`t have a seat in the UN Security Council because nobody likes poor. Western countries are good to us only on our face but they dislike us because we are poor. Nobody respects poor", Katju said.
"The only way out is to propagate scientific thinking in all walks of life", he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark