Put aside doubts on marines` trial: Khurshid to Italy
Almaty: Seeking to re-assure Italy, India on Friday said any doubts on Italian marines being put on trial for committing a terror act should be set aside as the NIA is just one agency available to the government for investigating the case of killing of two Indian fishermen in high seas.
External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid said he would read the assignment of the task to the NIA, not through the NIA Act but by nomination made through the order of the Supreme Court.
"Therefore any doubts that this really amounts to an investigation into a terrorist act should be set aside immediately. It is just one agency available to the government that under the orders of the Supreme Court can be used for the investigation," he said.
The Supreme Court today allowed the NIA to probe the case against two Italian marines, Massimiliano Latorre and Salvatore Girone, accused of killing two Indian fishermen in February last and asked a special court to conduct the trial on a day-to-day basis after the chargesheet is filed.
Khurshid, who is here in the Kazakh capital to attend a meeting on Afghanistan, said he had not read the judgement, but felt that if it was communicated and reported "in the right manner", Italians should not have any concern.
"Their concern was are you charging us with a terrorist act. That was their concern. But that is not what it is. But I say this with a caveat that I have not read the judgement," he said.
"My instinct tells me that that is what would be in the judgement. So, if the judgement is read carefully and it is reported carefully, then there should be no reason for any disquiet as far as the Italian government is concerned. And I dont think therefore there would be any reason for discomfort to the government of India," Khurshid said.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3