Putting blast behind, Pune’s German Bakery reopens
Pune: German Bakery, the eatery that came into focus after a bomb blast that killed 17 patrons and injured over 60 others in 2010, has been formally reopened at the posh Koregaon Park area with the owners hoping to erase the terrible memory.
Renovated at an estimated cost of Rs 1.5 crore, the eatery was thrown open to customers on Saturday evening by a new management, whose earlier plan to reopen it on February 13 was deferred due to a technical issue as Pune Municipal Corporation (PMC) insisted on submission of a structural audit report.
"We have now submitted the structural audit report and got the nod to restart the eatery. All signs of the damage caused by the explosion have been removed during the renovation process, as we do not want the patrons to remember the unpleasant episode," said Vijay Shevale, who has taken over the management of the bakery on a 25-year lease from the Kharose family who owns the place.
Shevale said about 40 new food items have been added to the old menu that had made the eatery popular among young people and foreigners staying at the nearby Osho ashram.
The normal ambiance of the new look eatery is, however, laced with the hard reality of a security set-up that includes a metal detector, installation of 16 CCTV cameras and deployment of guards.
A sessions court in April convicted one of the accused Himayat Baig in the bomb blast case, awarding him death sentence. The blast had occurred at the bakery on February 13, 2010.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA