Quota Bill introduced in Rajya Sabha, SP MPs walk out
New Delhi: The Samajwadi Party members on Thursday walked out of Rajya Sabha to protest consideration of bill on quota in promotions, which was introduced by Union Minister of State in PMO V Narayanasamy.
The walkout came hours after Prime Minister Manmohan Singh urged parliamentarians to let the Rajya Sabha function.
The PM had also reportedly met Samajwadi Party chief Mulayam Singh Yadav earlier this morning to break the impasse over the bill seeking reservation in promotions for Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes, but failed to reach a compromise.
Chaos returned to the Rajya Sabha today with the Samajwadi Party creating a ruckus over the quota bill and an angry deputy chairman PJ Kurien asking that its member be evicted.
The SP leaders started raising slogans saying they didn`t want reservations in government job promotions, soon after the Upper House met following the lunch break. When the din showed no signs of abating, Kurien adjourned the house for 10 minutes.
The unruly scenes continued when the House met with SP leaders gathering near the chair and continuing their loud slogans.
An angry Kurien then told SP leaders Ram Gopal Yadav and Naresh Agrawal to evict Arvind Kumar Singh from the house. "Please withdraw him," Kurien said.
"If you don`t, I will be forced to call the marshals," he added.
When the party members continued their slogan shouting, Kurien announced that the House be adjourned for 10 minutes.
On Wednesday, Bahujan Samaj Party chief Mayawati launched a direct attack on Rajya Sabha chair Hamid Ansari, holding him responsible for delay in the passage of the bill for offering reservations in promotions.
Certain of her comments in the house on Wednesday were later expunged.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- DNA: Growing Russia-China ties a concern for India
- Woman set ablaze in UP, Akhilesh orders magisterial probe
- Shahid Kapoor-Mira Rajput wedding: Check out their first picture as a couple!
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation
- No bomb found on Turkish Airlines flight which made emergency landing in Delhi