Quota bill will be taken up in LS on Thursday: Nath
New Delhi: Unfazed by SP`s strong protest which led to a scuffle in the Lok Sabha on Wednesday, the government today said the bill for providing quota in government job promotion will be taken up in the House on Thursday.
Parliamentary Affairs Minister Kamal Nath termed as deplorable the incident in which SP member Yashvir Singh snatched the Constitution (117th Amendment) Bill from Minister for Personnel V Narayanasamy.
The bill that seeks to provide quota to SCs/STs in promotions in government jobs was passed by the Rajya Sabha on Monday.
"The incident is highly deplorable. Never in my 32 years in the Lok Sabha have I seen such an incident where a political party disagrees and uses methods which disrespects Parliament and abuses parliamentary processes. It is a sad day for parliamentary democracy," Nath told reporters here.
He said everyone should condemn this incident in the strongest possible terms and he would urge Speaker Meira Kumar to take action against the member.
"It is a sad day for parliamentary democracy. A section of house will disrupt the proceeding and not allow debate to be taken up. They may have a different view but they can debate and vote against it. If you don`t allow the house to function, how will the parliament work," he asked.
Nath said the government would bring the bill in the Lok Sabha tomorrow.
"If a political party is adamant on a particular position, it has to be reflected in the debate. Such actions are frustrating parliamentary democracy," Nath said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days