Quota bill will be taken up in LS on Thursday: Nath
New Delhi: Unfazed by SP`s strong protest which led to a scuffle in the Lok Sabha on Wednesday, the government today said the bill for providing quota in government job promotion will be taken up in the House on Thursday.
Parliamentary Affairs Minister Kamal Nath termed as deplorable the incident in which SP member Yashvir Singh snatched the Constitution (117th Amendment) Bill from Minister for Personnel V Narayanasamy.
The bill that seeks to provide quota to SCs/STs in promotions in government jobs was passed by the Rajya Sabha on Monday.
"The incident is highly deplorable. Never in my 32 years in the Lok Sabha have I seen such an incident where a political party disagrees and uses methods which disrespects Parliament and abuses parliamentary processes. It is a sad day for parliamentary democracy," Nath told reporters here.
He said everyone should condemn this incident in the strongest possible terms and he would urge Speaker Meira Kumar to take action against the member.
"It is a sad day for parliamentary democracy. A section of house will disrupt the proceeding and not allow debate to be taken up. They may have a different view but they can debate and vote against it. If you don`t allow the house to function, how will the parliament work," he asked.
Nath said the government would bring the bill in the Lok Sabha tomorrow.
"If a political party is adamant on a particular position, it has to be reflected in the debate. Such actions are frustrating parliamentary democracy," Nath said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi