R-Day: Modi appeals youth to contribute to nation-building
Dang: Terming the 64th Republic Day celebrations at Ahwa village in the tribal-dominated Dang district on Saturday as "a historic feat", Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi appealed the youth to contribute to the nation-building.
The tricolour was unfurled on this occasion by Governor Dr Kamla, followed by a grand police parade.
"A small gram Panchayat like Ahwa hosting the state-level celebrations of 64th Republic Day...It is a historic feat for the country and highlights people`s strength. I congratulate them," Modi said after the function.
"The population of those who were born after the independence is 65 per cent, it`s a generation which never got the opportunity to die for nation, but have got the chance to live for the country," Modi said.
"This generation should take a pledge to contribute to nation-building and uplifting of poor in whatever little way they can."
Governor Dr Kamla said in her message that the Republic Day provides an opportunity for introspection. Gujarat was making its precious contribution in the journey of all-round development of the nation, which is a matter of pride.
The state had set new benchmarks of development, and had emerged as a trendsetter in the country, she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened