Rahul snubs leaders demanding he be named as PM candidate soon
New Delhi: Rahul Gandhi on Saturday snubbed Uttarakhand Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna after he demanded that the Congress Vice President be soon declared the Prime Ministerial candidate of the party.
Reminding Bahuguna that Prime Minister Manmohan Singh is already in at the helm, Gandhi told the Chief Minister that the problem is not about PM candidate but related to party organisation, which needs to be addressed first, sources said.
"I do not want to hear such a thing again," an incensed Congress Vice President was quoted as saying while interacting with the PCC chiefs and the CLP leaders here during the two-day meet that concluded today.
Bahuguna`s suggestion was instantly greeted by several PCC chiefs and CLP leaders but they went silent realising that it has not gone down well with the leader.
Despite the overwhelming demand from the partymen that Gandhi be declared PM candidate, the party has refrained from doing so saying the decision on this issue will be taken at a later stage.
In 2008, the Congress had declared incumbent Manmohan Singh as Prime Ministerial candidate for the last Lok Sabha polls.
The meeting also saw Gandhi taking a dig at the party leaders aspiring to be Chief Ministerial candidates in various states saying "there were 200 CM candidates in Uttar Pradesh. There are even candidates for the UN Secretary General there."
Congress had secured only 28 seats out of a total of 403 in the Assembly elections last year in Uttar Pradesh, which had come as a rude jolt for the party which had secured as many as 22 of the 80 seats in the Lok Sabha polls in 2009. Congress is out of power in the state since 1989.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'