Rahul snubs leaders demanding he be named as PM candidate soon
New Delhi: Rahul Gandhi on Saturday snubbed Uttarakhand Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna after he demanded that the Congress Vice President be soon declared the Prime Ministerial candidate of the party.
Reminding Bahuguna that Prime Minister Manmohan Singh is already in at the helm, Gandhi told the Chief Minister that the problem is not about PM candidate but related to party organisation, which needs to be addressed first, sources said.
"I do not want to hear such a thing again," an incensed Congress Vice President was quoted as saying while interacting with the PCC chiefs and the CLP leaders here during the two-day meet that concluded today.
Bahuguna`s suggestion was instantly greeted by several PCC chiefs and CLP leaders but they went silent realising that it has not gone down well with the leader.
Despite the overwhelming demand from the partymen that Gandhi be declared PM candidate, the party has refrained from doing so saying the decision on this issue will be taken at a later stage.
In 2008, the Congress had declared incumbent Manmohan Singh as Prime Ministerial candidate for the last Lok Sabha polls.
The meeting also saw Gandhi taking a dig at the party leaders aspiring to be Chief Ministerial candidates in various states saying "there were 200 CM candidates in Uttar Pradesh. There are even candidates for the UN Secretary General there."
Congress had secured only 28 seats out of a total of 403 in the Assembly elections last year in Uttar Pradesh, which had come as a rude jolt for the party which had secured as many as 22 of the 80 seats in the Lok Sabha polls in 2009. Congress is out of power in the state since 1989.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing the reasons behind India's poor performance in Olympic games
- DNA: Analyzing the reasons behind India's poor performance in Olympic games Part-II
- DNA: Analyzing the overburdened of heavy schoolbags on children
- DNA: Analyzing the overburdened of heavy schoolbags on children Part II
- Pakistan's attrocities on Gilgit-Baltistan to Mehbooba's hard hitting attitude on Kashmir violence
- What a pervert! Bijnor imam caught on camera during rape – Watch shocking video
- Defender Cedric Soares renews contract with Southampton until 2020
- Sakshi Malik, PV Sindhu, Dipa Karmakar, Pullela Gopichand to be gifted BMW cars
- Expect 8% GDP growth in FY17 on back of good monsoon: Shaktikanta Das
- Saarc FMs meet focused on trade, tax avoidance pacts: Das