Rahul snubs leaders demanding he be named as PM candidate soon
New Delhi: Rahul Gandhi on Saturday snubbed Uttarakhand Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna after he demanded that the Congress Vice President be soon declared the Prime Ministerial candidate of the party.
Reminding Bahuguna that Prime Minister Manmohan Singh is already in at the helm, Gandhi told the Chief Minister that the problem is not about PM candidate but related to party organisation, which needs to be addressed first, sources said.
"I do not want to hear such a thing again," an incensed Congress Vice President was quoted as saying while interacting with the PCC chiefs and the CLP leaders here during the two-day meet that concluded today.
Bahuguna`s suggestion was instantly greeted by several PCC chiefs and CLP leaders but they went silent realising that it has not gone down well with the leader.
Despite the overwhelming demand from the partymen that Gandhi be declared PM candidate, the party has refrained from doing so saying the decision on this issue will be taken at a later stage.
In 2008, the Congress had declared incumbent Manmohan Singh as Prime Ministerial candidate for the last Lok Sabha polls.
The meeting also saw Gandhi taking a dig at the party leaders aspiring to be Chief Ministerial candidates in various states saying "there were 200 CM candidates in Uttar Pradesh. There are even candidates for the UN Secretary General there."
Congress had secured only 28 seats out of a total of 403 in the Assembly elections last year in Uttar Pradesh, which had come as a rude jolt for the party which had secured as many as 22 of the 80 seats in the Lok Sabha polls in 2009. Congress is out of power in the state since 1989.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir