Rahul will do "very well" in govt or Cong: PC
New Delhi: Amid clamour for a larger role for Rahul Gandhi, Home Minister P Chidambaram has said that the young leader will do "very well" in government as well as the Congress.
"Why not? Gandhi can accept an office in government or in the party or in the House. I am sure that he will do very well in any of these places", Chidambaram told a Malayalam news channel.
He was asked for his reaction on demand of several Congress MPs that Rahul be made the Leader of the House in the Lok Sabha.
Chidambaram, however, said whether Rahul would be appointed to this or that post is the decision that only the Congress president in consultation with the Prime Minister can take.
"But I think we would welcome him in any post," Chidambaram said according to a release issued by the news channel.
Kerala PCC president Ramesh Chennithal had only yesterday demanded that Rahul be made vice president of the party.
The chorus for Rahul playing a greater role in Congress party is growing louder with party general secretary Digvijay Singh demanding that he be given "decisive" responsibility and another senior leader making a strong pitch for projecting him as PM candidate in the next polls.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan