Railways seeks Chinese technology for running bullet train
New Delhi: Railways on Monday joined hands with China for cooperation in developing high-speed rail corridors in selected routes in the country.
Besides, Railways will also seek Chinese expertise in carrying out heavy haulage in dedicated freight corridors and developing stations.
"We signed a MoU with China for mutual cooperation in rail sector," said a senior Railway Ministry official, adding, "The agreement will remain in force for five years."
Chairman Railway Board Vinay Mittal and China`s Vice- Minister of Railways Wang Zhigue signed the agreement. A MoU was signed with China on January 14, 2008 which has since expired.
Now an Infrastructure Working Group will be constituted under the India-China Strategic Economic Dialogue to work out details for the future cooperation in the rail sector, the official said.
Railways has identified seven routes for exploring possibilities of running high-speed trains known as bullet trains at a speed of about 300 km per hour.
Pre-feasibility study has been carried out for five corridors, said the official.
Japan is also keen to provide its technology to Railways in high speed rail corridors.
Railways plans to take up the proposed Mumbai-Ahmedabad high-speed rail corridor on a priority basis as the government has given the in-principle clearance to the project. It is estimated to cost about Rs 60,000 cr to run train at 300 km per hour speed in the proposed corridor.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed