Railways to set up captive nuclear power plants
New Delhi: With the aim of reducing its power bill, railways is actively considering setting up captive nuclear power plants to meet the rising demand of energy for train operation.
"Talks are going on with Nuclear Power Corporation (NPC) for setting up captive nuclear plants to cater to the growing demand of power for running increased number of trains," said a senior Railway Ministry official in the elctrical department.
There are about 42,00 electrical locomotives operational and out of the total 65,000 km long rail route, 23,541 km has been electrified.
The cash-strapped railways spent Rs 8,000 crore on electricity bill in last fiscal while its diesel bill was around Rs 15,000 crore.
An MoU will be signed with the NPC for setting up plants after the finalisation of talks, said the official.
Asked about the state where the plants could be set up, the official said "it has not been decided yet but it can be considered in states like Haryana, Uttar Pradesh and Tamil Nadu."
The national transporter is expected to benefit from the captive power plants as the consumption rate is likely to go down from Rs 5.4 a unit of electricity to less than Rs 4.
Currently, the demand is about 3,000MW of peak requirement and it is estimated that the demand for electricity over the next 10 years will be nearly 5,000 MW.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Preity Zinta missed crew of 'ABCD 2' on 'Nach Baliye 7'
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015