Railways to set up corporation to focus on bullet train project
New Delhi: Aiming to expedite the ambitious high speed corridor project, the government has decided to set up a corporation which will exclusively deal with aspects like its tendering process and execution.
The National High Speed Rail Corporation (NHSRC) will be constituted shortly and focus on execution of the bullet train project, including tendering, pre-feasibility study and awarding contracts, among others, Railway sources here said.
The corporation will comprise four members, all railway officials, they added.
According to Railway officials, among the eight upcoming high speed rail corridors, the one between Mumbai-Ahmedabad will be taken up on priority.
The 492-km-long Mumbai-Ahmedabad rail route will see its first bullet train, with a speed of 300 km per hour, which is expected to reduce the travel time drastically between the two financially strong cities to a mere two and a half hours from seven hours by Duronto, the fastest train at present.
The high speed corridors, considered to be a flagship infrastructure project, has got the nod from the Prime Minister`s Office, which has announced a roadmap for implementation of the project.
Besides the Mumbai-Ahmedabad route, the seven other high speed corridors which have got in-principle approval are Delhi-Chandigarh-Amritsar, Pune-Mumbai-Ahmedabad, Hyderabad- Dornakal-Vijayawada-Chennai, Howrah-Haldia, Chennai-Bangalore- Coimbatore-Trivandrum, Delhi-Agra-Lucknow-Allahabad-Patna and Delhi-Jaipur-Ajmer-Jodhpur.
Except Delhi-Amritsar and Delhi-Jodhpur, pre-feasibility study has been undertaken for all the corridors.
The PMO has also decided to set up a project steering group consisting of Chairman Railway Board as Chairman and Secretary (DEA), Secretary (Planning), Member (Mechanical), Member (Engineering) and Member (Electrical) as members to monitor the project closely.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Disruption of Parliament not acceptable, for God's sake, do your job: President Pranab Mukherjee to MPs