Railways to set up corporation to focus on bullet train project
New Delhi: Aiming to expedite the ambitious high speed corridor project, the government has decided to set up a corporation which will exclusively deal with aspects like its tendering process and execution.
The National High Speed Rail Corporation (NHSRC) will be constituted shortly and focus on execution of the bullet train project, including tendering, pre-feasibility study and awarding contracts, among others, Railway sources here said.
The corporation will comprise four members, all railway officials, they added.
According to Railway officials, among the eight upcoming high speed rail corridors, the one between Mumbai-Ahmedabad will be taken up on priority.
The 492-km-long Mumbai-Ahmedabad rail route will see its first bullet train, with a speed of 300 km per hour, which is expected to reduce the travel time drastically between the two financially strong cities to a mere two and a half hours from seven hours by Duronto, the fastest train at present.
The high speed corridors, considered to be a flagship infrastructure project, has got the nod from the Prime Minister`s Office, which has announced a roadmap for implementation of the project.
Besides the Mumbai-Ahmedabad route, the seven other high speed corridors which have got in-principle approval are Delhi-Chandigarh-Amritsar, Pune-Mumbai-Ahmedabad, Hyderabad- Dornakal-Vijayawada-Chennai, Howrah-Haldia, Chennai-Bangalore- Coimbatore-Trivandrum, Delhi-Agra-Lucknow-Allahabad-Patna and Delhi-Jaipur-Ajmer-Jodhpur.
Except Delhi-Amritsar and Delhi-Jodhpur, pre-feasibility study has been undertaken for all the corridors.
The PMO has also decided to set up a project steering group consisting of Chairman Railway Board as Chairman and Secretary (DEA), Secretary (Planning), Member (Mechanical), Member (Engineering) and Member (Electrical) as members to monitor the project closely.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena