Rajya Sabha adjourned after stink - literally
New Delhi: The Rajya Sabha had to be adjourned twice Thursday after members complained of a foul smell that they suspected could be a gas leak.
Halfway through question hour, members complained about the smell and said it could be a gas leak though it was not immediately clear where the odour was originating from.
Chairman Hamid Ansari immediately adjourned the house for 15 minutes around 11.30 am. The house was later adjourned for 15 more minutes till 12 noon by Deputy Chairman PJ Kurien.
Kurien said in the parliamentary gallery later that it was like an "LPG smell but cannot say definitely".
D Raja of the Communist Party of India said members got scared after the "strong" odour spread in the house and urged the chairman to adjourn it briefly.
Officials, who are seated in a separate gallery in the Rajya Sabha, said they had complained of the smell earlier as well but no action was taken. Some officials and members suspected that the smell was originating from the sewers.
"We have complained about the smell so many times. The DG of CPWD(Central Public Works Department) came recently. It comes from the sewers," an official told IANS on condition of anonymity.
"It may be sewer gas, or garbage, or something else, we don`t know," added an MP.
"It smelt like sewer gas," said another member.
The functioning of the house was restored at 12 noon after the smell subsided.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India