Rajya Sabha adjourned after stink - literally
New Delhi: The Rajya Sabha had to be adjourned twice Thursday after members complained of a foul smell that they suspected could be a gas leak.
Halfway through question hour, members complained about the smell and said it could be a gas leak though it was not immediately clear where the odour was originating from.
Chairman Hamid Ansari immediately adjourned the house for 15 minutes around 11.30 am. The house was later adjourned for 15 more minutes till 12 noon by Deputy Chairman PJ Kurien.
Kurien said in the parliamentary gallery later that it was like an "LPG smell but cannot say definitely".
D Raja of the Communist Party of India said members got scared after the "strong" odour spread in the house and urged the chairman to adjourn it briefly.
Officials, who are seated in a separate gallery in the Rajya Sabha, said they had complained of the smell earlier as well but no action was taken. Some officials and members suspected that the smell was originating from the sewers.
"We have complained about the smell so many times. The DG of CPWD(Central Public Works Department) came recently. It comes from the sewers," an official told IANS on condition of anonymity.
"It may be sewer gas, or garbage, or something else, we don`t know," added an MP.
"It smelt like sewer gas," said another member.
The functioning of the house was restored at 12 noon after the smell subsided.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand