Rajya Sabha adjourned for lack of quorum
New Delhi: Rajya Sabha was adjourned for the day due to lack of quorum during the post-lunch sitting after two disruptions in the morning on a variety of demands, including Prime Minister`s resignation over alleged scam in coal block allocation.
The House was to meet at 2:30 PM to take up Private Members` Bills, but hardly 15 members were present with no representation from the Opposition NDA and Left.
Though Thaawar Chand Gehlot (BJP) came in the House, he went out after telling the Secretary General that he got delayed as he had gone for lunch. There were only four members from Congress including two Ministers.
Since the requirement of at least 10 per cent attendance of the total members of the House could not be met, Deputy Chairman P J Kurien did not come in the House. For quorum, the presence of 25 members is needed in the 245-member House.
Secretary General Shumsher K Sheriff waited for 10 minutes for quorum to be complete before finally announcing that the House stood adjourned till Monday.
Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs Rajiv Shukla and Minister of State for Home RPN Singh, who were present in the House, walked up to Sheriff and discussed the problem.
DMK member T Siva was seen counting the total numbers of MPs present in the House. At 2.30 PM, only 15 members were present in the House, which rose to 19 by the time the House was adjourned.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- Suspicious Iranian boat seized off Kerala coast, Pakistani ID card recovered