Rapists should be hanged: Sushma Swaraj
New Delhi: Appalled at the horrific gang-rape in a Delhi bus, Leader of Opposition in the Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj on Tuesday called for capital punishment for those guilty of such crimes. She was speaking during the Zero Hour in the Lok Sabha.
“There are no words to condemn such incidents. A victim of rape is neither dead nor alive. Even if the wounds of the victim heal physically, the mental trauma makes her a living dead,” said Swaraj.
The 23 year old para-medical victim was travelling with her male companion and had boarded a chartered bus with tinted glass windows from Munirka in South Delhi around 9.45 pm to Palam on Sunday. They were assaulted with an iron rod by the men after the two resisted. Later, they were dumped on the road side near Mahipalpur flyover.
Swaraj asked as to what is the central government, police and chief minister of Delhi doing to prevent such incidents in the city.
“Suggestions like don’t step out alone at night are given, but what about the call centre employees who mostly belong to the middle class and move out of their homes to earn a living? Going by the suggestion, the gang-rape incident did not even take place that late in the night. It was around 9:30 pm and victim was accompanied by a male friend,” she said.
Meanwhile, Parliamentary Affairs Minister said that strict action will be taken in the case and steps will be taken to prevent such future incidents.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA