Rapists should be hanged: Sushma Swaraj
New Delhi: Appalled at the horrific gang-rape in a Delhi bus, Leader of Opposition in the Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj on Tuesday called for capital punishment for those guilty of such crimes. She was speaking during the Zero Hour in the Lok Sabha.
“There are no words to condemn such incidents. A victim of rape is neither dead nor alive. Even if the wounds of the victim heal physically, the mental trauma makes her a living dead,” said Swaraj.
The 23 year old para-medical victim was travelling with her male companion and had boarded a chartered bus with tinted glass windows from Munirka in South Delhi around 9.45 pm to Palam on Sunday. They were assaulted with an iron rod by the men after the two resisted. Later, they were dumped on the road side near Mahipalpur flyover.
Swaraj asked as to what is the central government, police and chief minister of Delhi doing to prevent such incidents in the city.
“Suggestions like don’t step out alone at night are given, but what about the call centre employees who mostly belong to the middle class and move out of their homes to earn a living? Going by the suggestion, the gang-rape incident did not even take place that late in the night. It was around 9:30 pm and victim was accompanied by a male friend,” she said.
Meanwhile, Parliamentary Affairs Minister said that strict action will be taken in the case and steps will be taken to prevent such future incidents.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- WATCH: At 430/9, India needed 24 runs to avoid follow on. What Kapil Dev did next will blow your mind!
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it