Reconsider resignation: BJP leaders to Advani
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) president Rajnath Singh on Monday rejected the resignation of veteran LK Advani from all party posts, even as leaders lined up at the senior leader’s residence to persuade him to reconsider his decision.
"I have not accepted Shri Advani ji`s resignation," Rajnath Singh wrote on micro-blogging website Twitter. Singh met Advani here but failed to persuade him to withdraw his resignation.
Another senior party leader Sushma Swaraj too rushed to Advani’s house, expressing hope, "I am surprised he never shared it with us. I am confident that we will persuade Advani ji."
Other BJP members like Venkaiah Naidu, Ananth Kumar, Balbir Punj and VK Malhotra too visited the 85-year-old leader at his residence to convince him to withdraw his resignations.
BJP`s media in-charge Shrikant Sharma said Rajnath ji and other senior leaders have requested Advani ji to withdraw his resignation.
BJP leader Murli Manohar Joshi, meanwhile, is reported to have told Rajnath Singh that Advani`s resignation will lead to the BJP`s downfall.
Uma Bharti said she was troubled by the development and was confused. She added she will meet Advani, whom she respects a lot, tomorrow.
Advani’s resignation came a day after Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi was appointed the head of the party’s election campaign committee for 2014 Lok Sabha elections.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Jhansi's ammunition factory was target of ISI agents
- Panel discussion on film director Ali Akbar's accusation on Madrasa
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory