‘Regional parties to play key role in LS polls’
New Delhi: Sending a message to national parties, RJD chief Lalu Prasad on Sunday claimed regional parties will play a key role in the coming Presidential election and the next Lok Sabha polls.
However, he refused to indicate his party`s strategy on the candidature of Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee, widely speculated to be the UPA nominee, though he praised him no end.
Participating in the discussion in Lok Sabha during the Special Sitting to mark 60 years of the first session of Parliament, he said, "From Delhi to Kolkata, it is the sway of regional parties all the way."
These parties will play a significant role in the Presidential election as also the 2014 Lok Sabha polls, he said.
Turning to the Leader of the House Pranab Mukherjee, the RJD leader said the senior leader "has the right to scold us and his intentions are never bad and later he agrees to our point of view.
"We have authorised him to scold us," he said, as the House and Mukherjee joined in the laughter that followed.
He wished a long and active life for Mukherjee whom he hailed as a workaholic but ignored prodding by a BSP member that he should say "keep moving up".
Amid thumping of desks by BJP members, Prasad also showered praise on Atal Bihari Vajpayee saying the veteran leader was not in Parliament due to illness.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price