Reshuffle step toward 2014 polls: Congress leaders
New Delhi: With the cabinet reshuffle set to bring younger faces to the fore, Congress leaders Sunday called it a step towards 2014 polls.
"This reshuffle is an important step towards 2014," Congress leader Milind Deora said here.
"Many young faces are coming up, I have heard my friends Sachin Pilot and Jyotiraditya Scindia are being elevated," Deora said.
Jyotiraditya Scindia said, "We youngsters will have to come up to their (party high command`s) expectations."
Congress leader Harish Rawat, also likely to be elevated in the reshuffle, said more young ministers were needed as India is a "young nation".
"We are the world`s youngest country, and will be the youngest country for long. So we need more young leaders," Rawat said.
He also said that the country saw Rahul Gandhi as the "future prime minister".
Ajay Maken, who is also likely to get an important portfolio, said it was time for the young to show their power.
Asked if his exit would be a loss to the sports ministry, Maken said, "Wherever I go, I will perform to the best of my ability. It is an opportunity for all of us `youngsters` and though I am not that young, I am comparatively younger."
Nationalist Congress Party leader Tariq Anwar, who is the only one from the alliance partners likely to get an elevation, said he hoped he would perform well in the new role.
"It will be my first experience as a minister and I am feeling very upset because added responsibility comes my way. This time, my role will be different, but with support of the leadership I hope I will do better," Anwar said.
The cabinet reshuffle is scheduled 11.30 a.m. Sunday.
Actor-turned-politician Chiranjeevi from Andhra Pradesh, Abu Hasem Khan Choudhury, the brother of late Congress leader Abu Barkat Ghani Khan Choudhury from Malda district of West Bengal, Deepa Dasmunsi, Shashi Tharoor, Ajay Maken, Sachin Pilot and Jyotiraditya Scindia are some of the leaders whose names are doing the rounds as likely candidates for promotion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!