Retail FDI debate stirs interest in French MPs
New Delhi: On a visit to India, a group of
French MPs are "watching with interest" the heated debate here
on allowing FDI in the retail, a move which could benefit
companies like France-based Carrefour.
In their discussions with the India-France Parliamentary
Friendship Group presided over by BJP MP Yashwant Sinha, the
French delegation led by Nicolas Forissier were keen to know
about India`s strategy vis-a-vis China.
During the discussions, Forissier said the French side got
to know the various aspects of the "heated debate" on FDI in
retail and underlined that French companies like Carrefour
were looking forward to develop partnerships in India.
"I can understand, it is not easy to change a system that
has been working in India for years," Forissier said.
He was quick to add that the visiting MPs did not have any
judgement to give on the internal debate.
However, Forissier said more and more French companies
should develop partnerships in India which would be among the
top three economies in the world in the future.
The delegation called on Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar
Forissier is leading a delegation comprising Jean Launay,
Christian Blanc and Jean-Francois Mancel on a six-day visit to
India during which they will also tour Bengaluru, Chennai and
Asked about the Rafale bid for Indian Air Force contract
for 126 medium multi-role combat aircraft, Forissier said he
was confident that the French company would be successful.
"We are very confident because we believe that we have
offered the best plane which is adapted to Indian needs," he
said on the bids for the 126 MMRCA, winner of which is likely
to be announced later this month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of controversies on inclusion of 'NEET' in private medical colleges
- DNA: Analysis of controversies on inclusion of 'NEET' in private medical colleges - Part II
- DNA: How BSF soldiers guard the border in scorching summer heat
- DNA: Why is Congress taking support of affidavits to ensure alliance of MLA's?
- DNA: Analysis of how cancer is increasing death toll in India
- Cristiano Ronaldo wants extended Real Madrid stay
- VVIP choppers deal: ED summons Mitchel's Indian contacts
- Lenovo files trademark for 'Moto Z' smartphone; end of Moto X series?
- Calls from Dawood Ibrahim's house: ATS to probe charges against Eknath Khadse
- Obama looks to Hiroshima visit; Abe won't go to Pearl Harbor