Retail FDI: Left parties ask units to step up stir
New Delhi: Upping their ante over the demand
for a rollback of government`s decision to allow FDI in
retail, Left parties on Friday asked their units to intensify
nationwide protests on the issue.
The CPI said the "adamant attitude of the Prime Minister
smacks of a Bali deal for pushing retrograde economic measures
to meet the interests of the USA", while the CPI(M) charged
the government with using "specious arguments" to defend its
"Unable to counter the facts regarding the large-scale
displacement of employment and livelihoods in the retail trade
if foreign retail chains are allowed to operate in the
country, the UPA government is now using the specious argument
that it will benefit the farmers.
"Contrary to its claim, experience in other countries
shows that once multinational retailers establish themselves
and eliminate the intermediaries, they are able to dictate
terms to the producers. The farmers would become captive to
the prices determined by the giant retailers," the CPI(M)
Politburo said in a statement.
Backing shopkeepers and traders who had gone on strike
on Thursday, the CPI(M) said the struggle against FDI in retail
trade must be continued with vigour and asked its units
to intensify the campaign by organising more protest actions.
The CPI Central Secretariat accused the government of
showing "obstinacy" on its decision to allow 51 per cent FDI
in multi-brand retail trade despite "strong opposition by the
entire parliamentary opposition and even a few of the allies
of the ruling combine."
The FDI decision would "have dire consequences for our
economy", ruin the lives of over a million retail traders, hit
the customers and farmers as the retail MNCs would fix the
prices, attempt to change the crop pattern and throw lakhs of
people out of jobs, it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'