RJD, SP demand dismissal of Army Chief
New Delhi: RJD and Samajwadi Party on Wednesday sought the dismissal of Army Chief Gen V K Singh for making public his reported letter to the Prime Minister expressing concern over the state of preparedness of the Army with Lalu Prasad advising him to remain within limits.
"He (General) should be sacked immediately. Why he was silent all these days if there was shortage of ammunition," RJD supremo Lalu Prasad asked while talking to reporters outside Parliament.
Describing the Army Chief as a "frustrated" man, he said, "It seems the General wants to fight elections. If there are any issues concerning the forces then he should have taken the Defence Minister into confidence. There is a huge investment
on defence forces."
RJD chief further said, "He should remain within his limits."
Terming the development as very "serious and sensitive", Samajwadi Party leader Ram Gopal Yadav also demanded sacking of the Army Chief.
"People always have faith in our forces. It is a very serious and sensitive issue as far as letter is concerned which states that 97 per cent of our ammunition is not good, SP leader said.
He said the responsibility should be fixed for the leakage of the letter and whoever is responsible, action should be taken against him.
"If Army Chief is responsible for it which prima facie suggests... he should be sacked immediately. If this kind of indiscipline grows in Army then it will be a dangerous trend for the country."
However, Yadav said the development is a also a sign of weak leadership.
Expressing concern, JD(U) leader Sharad Yadav said, "It has never happened in the last 63 years. We are very concerned over the development. This is a very serious issue and whatever is happening is not good."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez