Romesh Sharma convicted in chopper-grabbing case
New Delhi: A Delhi court has held gangster Romesh Sharma guilty of cheating and other penal offences linked to the grabbing of a helicopter by him in 1996 and keeping it at his farmhouse.
Metropolitan Magistrate Sandeep Jain has convicted Sharma of offences of cheating, extortion, dishonestly receiving stolen property, kidnapping, criminal intimidation and conspiracy.
The court has also convicted his accomplices Avtar Singh Ahluwalia, M D Bhojwani, Naveen Budhiraja, Manoj, Avdesh and Indermani of dacoity and hatching criminal conspiracy for it.
Another accused Harish Mishra was convicted of cheating and criminal conspiracy for the same while Laxman Singh is convicted of kidnapping and criminal intimidation.
The convicts are yet to be sentenced. The court will hear the prosecution and defence arguments on quantum of sentence to the convicts on July 23, 2012.
Besides the chopper-grabbing case, Sharma is also facing trial in nearly a dozen criminal cases.
The case against Sharma had been registered in 1998 on complaint of one H Suresh Rao, the owner of a Bell-47 helicopter.
In its charge sheet, filed later, the CBI had said that Sharma came in contact with Rao in 1996 and expressed his desire to hire his chopper for campaigning in an election.
He had told Rao that he could not show the hiring of the helicopter due to the restrictions imposed by the Election Commission and, therefore, the documents showing sale of the helicopter may be prepared, which would be destroyed after the elections.
Believing Sharma`s request to be bonafide, Rao executed an MOU which was predated to February 24, 1996.
On Sharma`s request, the helicopter was dispatched to Phoolpur where it was used for his electioneering work. He later refused to return it to Rao.
When the helicopter was to be sent back to Mumbai, it was forcibly grabbed by Sharma`s henchmen, who took it to Delhi. The chopper was later seized by the Delhi police, which had initially registered the case, whch was later transferred to the CBI.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow